Excerpt from “Through It All”*

*Formerly known as “Endless Love”

I’m about 89% decided on writing Forever Is Not Long Enough for Camp NaNoWriMo in July. The other 11% is mainly the ever-present doubt whether I’ll be able to pull it off, not to mention whether I’ll have enough ideas and plot to write my first ever supernatural story. But that’s another problem for another post (maybe.)

It wouldn’t hurt starting to prep FINLE now, what with all the worldbuilding, character profiling and outlining I have to do, but I decided to dabble with Through It All, one of my completed first drafts that was option two of the Great Debate of What to Write During Camp (I wrote about it here.)

The result of a couple of days of thinking, mentally rewriting and actual writing is a 265-word scene or something. I say “or something” because I don’t actually know what it is. It could be a prologue or prelude to the story, or just some sort of journal entry. At this point, I can’t say whether it’ll be included in the final draft, but it did give me some insight into how the plot will be going (as I realized the original plot wouldn’t work and decided to change most of it) and into the female protagonist, Lilly.

I debated whether to share it or not, but I figured it would be good practice for whenever I decide to post a story (or several) online, which is a vague objective of mine.

So here it is, the scene-or-something. I hope you like it! 🙂


I can’t remember a time when Chriss wasn’t there.

He was 18 months old when I was born, so his presence in my life was true in the literal sense, but also in so many other ways.

He and his sister Hannah were like fixed features since the very beginning, and all memories of my childhood include one or both of them.

While Hannah was my best friend, Chriss was so much more. He was the one who was always there, who taught me how to ride a bike and climb trees, who defended me against neighborhood kids who teased me. He was the one who gave me my first kiss, long before we knew the significance of it, and the one I could turn to for comforting hugs and a shoulder to cry on.

No one was surprised when he and I fell in love. I’d always loved him, in a way you can only love someone who truly understands you and supports you and accepts you for who you are. I suppose it was only logical that I would come to love him as a woman loves a man.

He made me smile and sometimes he made me so angry I wanted to shout at him until he went deaf, but through all the ups and downs, he made me happy. He made me think of forever, of a family and happily ever after.

He never changed. He was a solid, supporting rock in the confusing storm of adolescence, and he was always there.

Always. Until he left and broke my heart.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s